Arena Analytics

Who Needs WorkCover

If you operate a business in Victoria, you will need to take out WorkCover insurance. Probably. It is compulsory. For most businesses.

If you’re unsure, ask yourself these questions:

  • Do you employ an apprentice or a trainee? If you do, stop here. You need WorkCover insurance.
  • Do you hire anyone, including are you an employee of your own business? If you do, do you expect to pay more than $7,500 in labour costs in a financial year? If so, you need WorkCover insurance.
  • Are you a trustee, and run a business under a trust? If you are and do, you need WorkCover insurance.

Some businesses don’t need WorkCover insurance:

  • If you are running a business as a sole trader/sole proprietor you don’t need WorkCover insurance – unless you employ someone.
  • If you are a partner in a partnership, you don’t need WorkCover insurance – unless you employ someone.
  • If you are a trustee of a trust, you don’t need WorkCover insurance – unless you run a business under that trust.

If you are in a category that doesn’t need WorkCover insurance, and you get injured at work, you won’t be covered by WorkCover, so you’ll want to have other insurance to cover you, like income protection insurance, life insurance, and health insurance. If you are in one of these categories, and someone else hires you then depending on the arrangements, you may be covered by their WorkCover insurance.

What happens if you need WorkCover insurance and don’t have it?

If one of your employees gets sick or injured at work, or WorkSafe does an audit and finds you don’t have the insurance you need, you could be up for some pretty big penalties.

If you're unsure, talk to an expert, go to WorkSafe's website or speak to one of WorkSafe's agents

Share this with your friends

Share on LinkedIn Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Contact Arena Analytics